Sunday 21 June 2009

Ode to Sachin Tendulkar

Of film stars, I have never been a fan
Models? I don't really give a damn
Saints, I like them in their heaven
Sportsperson? Yes, it's Sachin Tendulkar
And I have lived watching this little master

I was a kid and so was he
Very soon the world would see
His growth from a mere boy to a man of might
From his blade came forth many a glorious sight
I lived, mesmerized, watching him shine in the limelight

His prayers to heaven as he walks in to bat
Examining the pitch, gently giving it a pat
The fire in the eyes, the biting of the nails
His dedication and the child like enthusiasm
I lived, in love, watching his every little mannerism

'He plays like me' said Sir Don Bradman
Warne said, 'In my nightmares Sachin's the man'
A frenzied nation, cricket the religion, God this man
The country's victory dependent on his game
I lived, ecstatic, watching him rise to great fame

His shoulders for a decade carried the burden
On his small frame, hope of the people laden
His back went out, his elbow followed
The weight of expectations, too much of a strain
I lived, anxiously, watching him fight his pain

Two decades gone, he is still very much there
The oldest in the team, experience lots to share
These days his inclusion almost always a doubt
Soon the curtains may fall on the genius' game
I live, knowing, that moment my heart will maim.

No comments:

Post a Comment