Tuesday 4 August 2009

Rise again

Don't mistake me for I am still a proud Indian
Writing this has been a task so gargantuan
As Every little thing I cherish about my country
Has been brought to vile and left high and dry

The land of Chanakya, the great political genius
In political disarray, courtesy khadi clad hypocrites
Nalanda and Takshashila, the ancient temples of learning
Education today is a business, a venture in money-making

The land of riches, plundered repeatedly by foreign kings
We try in vain now to raise poverty line by inches
Six decades of independence, a gift of great sacrifices
The struggle continues, still for basic rights and amenities

In the age of supercomputers and space travel
In Religious fanaticism, casteism, superstition we grovel
For centuries we have bowed to our godesses by the dozen
And yet the birth of a girl is still not worth a celebration

Our culture, heritage and vast wealth of knowledge
Is mostly food for the power hungry in political pledge
We dare to dream, we achieve lofty goals, the youth of today
Have we that pride held so dear by old blood of yesterday

Do I stop and ponder if I can change some things?
Do I make an effort to bring about some difference?
No, not much I know, I am still clinging to misgivings
But get my hands dirty, I will, for it is a worthy penance.

1 comment:

  1. Very articulate.... I must say.... :) :) Especially the 4th para....

    All the hullabaloo about "Mera Bharat Mahaan" seems so frivolous....

    ReplyDelete